AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate at Northwestern University
The Child Nutrition Engagement Program is an AmeriCorps VISTA project sponsored by Hunger Free America and funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service, the PepsiCo Foundation, and the Walmart Foundation. This national project operates two programs, one for a full-year and the other for just the summer, called the Summer Associate program. Both the full-year and Summer Associates work in rural and urban areas across the country as part of a poverty-fighting public-private partnership. These summer associates will be placed across 21 states with 27 community partners, all dedicated to fighting child and adult hunger.
The Hunger Free America Summer Associate Program aims to create more food secure families and support nutritious food choices. Summer Associate members will expand and support the Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) and nutrition education programming; improve awareness of nutritious food options at farmers’ markets and the use of SNAP benefits at farmers’ markets; and raise awareness of and eliminate barriers to SNAP and other food/nutrition-access services.
The Campus Kitchen at Northwestern University is seeking an AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associate to do the following:
- Assist SFSP sites in serving meals, which includes food resourcing, food preparation, meal assembly, delivery, counting meals, set-up and clean-up, food safety record keeping, coordinating and/or leading enrichment activities, and other duties necessary for site to operate
- Recruit, train, and manage volunteers to assist with summer operations and outreach programs
- Conduct outreach in targeted communities of low-income individuals for the Summer Food Service Program, SNAP, farmers’ markets, and/or nutrition education
- Work with community partners to provide information to individuals about federal and non-federal benefits they may be eligible to receive
- Conduct nutrition education classes and activities that encourage healthier eating to both children and adults
This is a full time position with time split between work in the office, in the kitchen, on food resourcing and delivery shifts, in the community, and on-site with client agencies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be legally permitted to work in US
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with and managing volunteers, or experience in a collaborative volunteer role
- Empathetic, compassionate, respectful toward people living in low-income situations and struggling to make ends meet
- Comfortable working part of the time in a kitchen setting and willing to learn and perform basic kitchen tasks
- Have an outgoing, engaging personality, Able to work effectively as part of a team
- Ability to lift 25 lbs., comfortable with strenuous outdoor activity. Moderate physical activity required.
- Experience or desire to work with children
- Knowledge or interest in child nutrition and hunger-related issues
- Ability to exercise high levels of independent judgment
A valid driver’s license and access to a car is highly preferred.
This is a short-term, 10-week, full-time position beginning May 30, 2017, and ending August 7, 2017. You are expected to be available for the needs of your community and project at all times, including days, nights and weekends. Because AmeriCorps VISTA service requires a full immersion in the project and community, full-time employment with other entities is strictly prohibited. Summer Associates may be able to have a part-time job outside of VISTA service, however, they will discuss this with their supervisor prior to starting their position. Also, AmeriCorps VISTA Summer Associates must adhere to some restrictions on political and religious activities while in service.
You are responsible for finding your own housing. No housing allowance will be provided.
- Bi-weekly living stipend ($472.22)
- Segal Education Award ($1,230.69) or end-of-service stipend ($287.70)
- July 4 Holiday
- Experience in the nonprofit sector
- A network of over 180,000 AmeriCorps VISTA members and alums
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. To apply for this position, please complete steps 1-3 listed below.
- Please go to https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?id=72162&fromSearch=true and complete the program application.
- Click on the following link to complete a Google survey to fill out your preferences for service. http://bit.ly/2npyyg0. Please note: this does NOT guarantee your selection for placement.
- Send a cover letter and resume to Samantha Warren, Program Coordinator, the Campus Kitchen at Northwestern at email@example.com and please include “Summer Associate VISTA Application” in the subject.